Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Eat this Book

Now that I'm well on the road to recovery from my ridiculous thumb injury, it's time to start talking about my One Word for 2013 - Margin.

One of the things I love about this word is that it has several different meanings. Which one do you think of first?

I tend to think of margin as the blank space around the page. The space where there's room to write a note or add a thought. When this meaning is applied to my life, it's the room I make on the edges of my responsibilities to allow me to say "Yes" to things when I feel God leading me in a new direction. It's also the space that gives me the freedom to be spontaneous, should the mood strike.

(I'll be talking about spontaneity in a few weeks and it's sure to be entertaining given that "spontaneous" is the last word anyone would ever use to describe me, so stay tuned).

But there is another meaning. "Margin" is also used to describe the boundary or the place where we set up some priorities.

So while you might expect me to talk about all the things I'm removing from my life in an effort to establish some healthy margins, instead, I'm going to spend the next two weeks talking about some things I'm adding. I'm not adding them because I'm a glutton for punishment or because I've been pressured into it. I'm adding them because I believe both of these things are critical to the establishment of margins in my life.

Matthew 6:33 says to seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness. Ultimately, I don't want to be the one setting my margins. I want God to do it. But I won't have a clue as to how He wants those margins set if I'm not saturating my mind with His Word.

Which is why I'm so excited about the Eat this Book program our church just started. For the next year, Southsiders (and anyone else who wants to join us) will be reading through the Bible. We just started on Monday, so it is not to late to jump in!

You can find all the details on our church website. I've chosen to download the YouVersion app to my iPhone and iPad to help me keep up with it, but there are free printable schedules on the website that you can print off if you prefer paper to digital :-).

One of the things that is fun about this program is the Bible in Five videos (also on the website). If the Bible seems like an overwhelming and complicated book to you, these five minute videos will help you get the big picture of what's going on in each book. They are very interesting and even if you don't want to dive into the Eat this Book program, you still should check out these videos.

Our pastor, Charlie Boyd, pointed out a few weeks ago that "Every Christian should be a Bible geek." So join me? We'll have fun. We'll learn a lot. We'll be able to say we read the whole Bible in a year.
Most importantly, we'll be filling our heads and hearts with the greatest Story every told.

Who knows what God might do if His people became people of His Word?

3 comments:

Vonda Skelton said...

Lynn, this is my second year of a through the Bible in a year study with reading and videos, and I LOVE it! The best study I have ever done, period. And I'm thrilled to be doing it again with some new videos.

I know you will enjoy your new study and learn a lot!

Cathy Baker said...

Ellen told me about this plan! Thanks for the heads up on the app. I'll check that out tonight. As you know, my word for 2013 is "Seek"...based on the scripture you shared here. It all goes back to the Word, doesn't it?

Thank you, Lynn! Glad your finger is feeling better. :( Ouch.

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Vonda - I'm so looking forward to all the hidden gems I'm sure to discover!
Cathy - It DOES all go back to the Word!