Sometimes, when a follower of Christ answers the call to come out of the boat and walk a new path, the people they've been doing life with are more hindrance than help.
Instead of cheering, they chide.
Instead of rooting, they rebuke.
Instead of praying, they pout.
And far too often, the resistance comes from those closest. The very people who should understand, don't. Spouses gripe. Parents worry. Friends question.
I know this happens. A lot.
But not to me.
When I started writing a book a few years ago, I had four chapters done when I mustered the courage to print them out and ask for my husband's opinion.
He's been my biggest fan ever since.
All that summer, he'd ask me how the book was coming. It was often this question that drove me to sit back down in front of the computer and press on, even when I thought I'd lost my mind to consider writing a book.
When I typed "The End" it was Brian who declared it a success. And Brian who thought it should be published. It was Brian who encouraged me to take a writing class. Brian who said "yes" to me attending my first (and second) writing conference. Brian who never questions me when I say, "I need to write".
It's Brian who listens when I
So, if you've ever been encouraged by anything I've ever written, you should know that there's a man in my life who cheers, roots, and prays for me. A man who is out of the boat with me.
Are you taking the JoyDare with me? My personal journal has over 700 grace gifts listed since November 2011. I'm a little behind in updating the blog link (what with a writers conference and a 40th birthday party weekend to enjoy!) but I'd love for you to join me.
- For my husband of almost 15 years who gets me, even when I don't get myself.
- For family and friends who celebrated with us.
- For the way earthly joys awaken that place in our hearts created for eternity and leave us longing for the time when we will all be together...no more death, no more tears, no more loved ones missing from the party.
- For mist dancing at dawn on a quiet lake.
- For birds, bullfrogs, and bugs letting me listen in on their morning song to our Creator.
Never miss a post! Subscribe to Out of the Boat by email or RSS feed!