Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Books...books...books!

Shelves waiting to be filled.
First, an update on Addie Reese. Her recovery has been nothing short of miraculous! She is currently on a rehab floor at the hospital in Charlotte, and they are already talking about outpatient therapies for her when she comes home. Thank you for praying for this sweet little girl and her family!

Second, you may or may not have noticed that the past few blog posts have come "from the archives." I decided to take a few weeks off and pull older posts so I could focus on getting some things done around my home.

Boring things like laundry and cleaning out closets.
And fun things...like bookshelves! My dad outdid himself. I knew they would be awesome...I had no idea how awesome! (For those of you who don't know, my dad can build anything!)

Way back in 1815, Thomas Jefferson wrote a letter to John Adams that included this phrase . . .
"I cannot live without books."

All the books-finally out of boxes.
I understand that. Since we moved in March 2011, the vast majority of my books have been in boxes in my formal dining room. Over the past 18 months, I have opened every single box as I've searched for specific friends. And yes, I do think of my books as friends.

They have been my companions when human friends were few and far between, my escape from reality when life has pressed in hard, and my teachers on subjects that vary from theology to musicals.

My favorite spot!
I've missed my friends. And there's something very satisfying about having them out where I can see and touch them. Their presence has already made this once unused space into my favorite room in our home.

Now, they wait for a new friend. I don't know how long they'll have to wait, but I'm confident that someday, they'll be joined by a book that has my name on it!

It's your turn...what's your favorite book, series, author? I have four empty shelves that need to be filled!

4 comments:

Shannon W said...

You already have our favorites covered! Your dad did a wonderful job. Enjoy!

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Thanks Shannon!

Vonda Skelton said...

What beautiful bookshelves! I'm so jealous! Can't wait to see YOUR book on both our shelves! :-)

Cathy Baker said...

They're beautiful, Lynn! We settled for Ikea floor to ceiling bookshelves for the "library" (soon to be Piper's room! ha!) Now you need a ladder (it really does come in handy for those top shelves!) Enjoy...