Monday, July 18, 2011

Mindful Mondays ~ What's Better than Coffee?

A photo of a cup of coffee.Image via Wikipedia
Psalm 54:4 ~ Behold, God is my helper; the Lord is the upholder of my life. (ESV)

Until recently, I was a social coffee drinker. I love a good mocha with friends or a frappucino on a hot day. But all that changed a few months ago. Concurrent with the birth of my third child, I became one of “those” people. The ones you shouldn’t mess with until they’ve had their first cup of coffee and who aren’t really awake until they’re on their second.

I guess it was just a matter of time before coffee went from being an occasional treat to a morning ritual. I haven’t slept through the night in almost a year. And the more sleep I lost to midnight and 3AM feedings, the more caffeine became my friend.

Prior to our most recent addition, I would have described my life as a three-ring circus. Lots of activity, but with a reasonable amount of order. Now, I’d have to say my life more closely resembles a hurricane. Swirling and buffeting, with high winds generating huge waves.

People ask me how I do it. My response? I don’t. In my own strength, I can do nothing. On my own, the hurricane would overwhelm the shoreline of my life and nothing, not even a strong cup of French roast, would be able to get me through my day.

There are still times when I fall into the trap of thinking that I have to hold everything together. And the more I think that way, the more everything seems to fall apart.

But when I lean into my Heavenly Father, He pulls me into the eye of the hurricane. The peaceful spot in the middle. The one place where I can catch my breath, even as everything swirls around me.

He is the one who holds me, and my life, together. The coffee helps get me going in the morning, but it is His help that carries me through each and every day.


Enhanced by Zemanta

1 comments:

Moshe and Shoshona Gold said...

~So true~ Even though our children are grown, I can identify with this~