Monday, February 13, 2012

Do You Feel the Love?

Every now and then, I have a great idea for a blog post, but the words won't flow. So I change gears. Write something else.

And wait.

I have waited months.

This time, I only had to wait a week for God to finish my thoughts and leave me, again, in wonder at His love for us.

But, maybe we should start at the beginning…with sick littles and long staircases and twin mattresses on the floor...


Not so long ago, we lived in a home where the bedrooms were close. So close that despite being in this 24/7 job we call motherhood for almost nine years, I have rarely felt the need to sleep in my children’s rooms. Even when illness raged, I slept in my bed, they in theirs. And if they whimpered or called my name, I was by their side in seconds.

In our new home, our bedroom is on the main floor while the kids’ rooms are upstairs. We’re still in the same house. Still close.

But when the stomach bug hit a few weeks ago, a flight of stairs was too far away. So for several nights, I found myself “sleeping” on the trundle bed mattress we relocated to my son’s bedroom floor.

As I tucked him back into his bed after yet another race to the bathroom, the words from one of my favorite Psalms settled in my mind.

The Lord is near to the broken hearted.

I love the idea of God being near. And from my spot in the floor of James’s room, I could appreciate the concept of His nearness more than ever. When we are hurting, sometimes we need God to be nearer than near. When we are suffering and miserable, our need to feel His presence is more desperation than desire.

I thought about it for a while. Decided to write about it. But something was missing. . .

When it hit me, it blew me away.

Because while it’s true that James needed me, the real reason I was sleeping in his room was because I needed to be there. My little man was sick. It hurt me to see him suffer. I couldn’t bear the thought of him having to wait an extra second for my comfort.

Do you realize God feels that way about you? When life overwhelms. When pain stabs deep. When loved ones suffer. When you wish you could wake up and discover it was all a nightmare.

God sees.

God knows.

And God is near.

Sure, it’s for your benefit.

But it’s also for His.

But now thus says the LORD,
he who created you, O Jacob,
he who formed you, O Israel:
“Fear not, for I have redeemed you;
I have called you by name, you are mine.
2 When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and through the rivers, they shall not overwhelm you;
when you walk through fire you shall not be burned,
and the flame shall not consume you.
3 For I am the LORD your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.
I give Egypt as your ransom,
Cush and Seba in exchange for you.
4
Because you are precious in my eyes,
and honored, and I love you...

(Isaiah 43:1-4a, emphasis mine, ESV)


Happy Valentine's Day - You are Loved!

8 comments:

Vonda Skelton said...

Thank you, Lynn. I needed this today...

Jamie Britt said...

Lynn, I needed this reminder today. You made me cry. To think, God is nearer than near at times, that thrills my heart. Thank you for this very timely post. Love you!

Susie said...

Thanks, Lynn. After the events of yesterday, I really needed to be reminded that God is near.

Allison Martin said...

Isn't it amazing how God's love can overwhelm us at what seem like ordinary life moments? He uses every opportunity to teach us about His love. Adored this post today, Lynn!

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Vonda, Jamie, & Mom - I think a perfectly timed blog post is another example of God's love! So glad it was what you needed today.
Allison - Such kind words! Thank you for the encouragement!

Erynn said...

So, apparently your blog is where I come to cry. Thanks for that. But seriously, you've been speaking straight to my heart for the last few weeks, and I know it all comes out of your broken places. I just appreciate your willingness to share the hard things in life with us--and the beautiful things that God is doing in the midst of them. I'm thankful for what he's showing you and what he's showing me THROUGH you.

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Oh Erynn - Thank you so much. Your words are a blessing! I really don't mean to make anyone cry. :-)Maybe it's time for a humorous post! I want you to laugh!

Ellen Andersen said...

Looks like God has used you today in my life too. These last days have been tough, especially yesterday. Today God used four friends to love and encourage me. With this post, that makes five! Thanks for this.