Thursday, March 15, 2012

Book Review :: Firethorn by Ronie Kendig

Do not, under any circumstances, no matter how tempted you are...do not open this book if you have anything urgent on your to-do list.
  • If you have to do laundry or you'll be going to a meeting in gym clothes.
  • If you have to buy groceries or everyone will be eating cereal for supper.
  • If you have a presentation to prepare handouts for (um...maybe that just applies to me)!

    You have been warned.

    If you (not that I would know from experience), decide to "just read the first chapter" you will still be reading an hour later, and then the rationalizations will begin.
  • No one will care if I'm in gym clothes.
  • Cereal is full of "healthy whole grains" and "fortified with extra vitamins" so it's a healthy dinner option!
  • Who needs handouts?

Yeah...it's that good!

Firethorn is the fourth and final (say it isn't so!!!) book in the Discarded Heroes series by Ronie Kendig. And all the characters you have come to know and love from the first three books are back...well, except for the ones who didn't make it...but there will be no spoilers from me!

Firethorn can stand on its own, but I think you'll enjoy it best if you read the books in order...Nightshade, Digitalis, Wolfsbane, then Firethorn. (I *might* have a touch of OCD. You may be able to read them in whatever order you choose. That would drive me batty, but if that works for you, feel free)!

The Discarded Heroes series follows the missions of an elite black-ops group - Nightshade.

Nightshade is made up of men from a variety of special forces groups. All of whom served their country with honor, only to be "discarded" by unscrupulous politicians and people more interested in preserving power than uncovering truth.

Until one man sees their potential, and recruits them.

As you read the series, you meet the entire team, stress over their dangerous missions, and watch several of them fall in love.

In Firethorn, someone has uncovered their identities and is determined to destroy them and their families. When most of Nightshade is captured and the rest of the team is driven underground, their founder hires one feisty operative to find them, free them from their captors, and reunite the team.

And that feisty operative? Her name is Kazi Faron and she's good. Really good. She's also got a bit of an attitude problem, dark secrets, and a staggering insistence on doing things on her own. I think you'll like her.

Griffin "Legend" Riddell sure does. Well, most of the time.

If they can learn to work together, they may be able to save the team...and each other.

* * * * * * * * * *

Doesn't it sound amazing! Don't you want to read it? Guess what? You can!

***UPDATED 3/20/2012***


Ronie was kind enough to send me a copy of Firethorn to review and GIVE AWAY.

Ronie shot me an email this morning! I'm so excited!! She's going to send the winner of the giveaway an AUTOGRAPHED copy!!
(And this means I get to keep my copy *yeah*!!)

You can enter up to FOUR times. Here's how...

1. Subscribe to Out of the Boat. It's easy. There's a link at the bottom of this post. You'll get nothing from me but my blog posts, delivered to your email.
2. Share this post on Facebook.
3. Share this post on Twitter.
4. Pin this post on Pinterest! (My latest addiction) :-)

VERY IMPORTANT: IF YOU WANT TO BE ENTERED IN THE DRAWING, YOU NEED TO LET ME KNOW WHO YOU ARE and WHAT YOU DID!
I can't always tell if someone has shared a post on Facebook or Twitter, and I don't want you to miss out! Leave a comment here - with at least your first name and last initial - that says, "I subscribed" or "I posted on Facebook and Twitter" or "I pinned it" so I know how many times to enter you in the drawing!

The deadline to enter is 3PM (EDT) on Wednesday, March 21st, and the winner will be announced on Thursday, March 22nd here (in the comments) and on Facebook and Twitter.

Good luck!

Here's how you subscribe....

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

1 comments:

Ronie Kendig said...

LOVE your review, Lynn! Thank you!