Thursday, June 14, 2012

Summer Reading

I was the kind of kid who loved school. Loved it! I didn't want to see it end and couldn't wait for it to start again.

But, summer had one huge thing going for it.

Virtually unlimited reading time! And a steady supply of books thanks to a mom who took me to the library - a lot! (Thanks mom!)

Of course, the grown-up version of summer doesn't have quite the same amount of free time. But it just wouldn't feel like summer if I didn't have a crazy assortment of books ready and waiting.

I've always been an avid reader. While I have favorite genres and authors, depending on my mood I'll read anything (except horror and erotica). Sci-Fi, Fantasy, Romance, Suspense, Thriller, Biography, Women's Fiction, Chick-Lit, Political Thrillers, Memoirs, Non-Fiction, YA, Dystopian, Classics and any combination of the above!

So just for fun, I thought I'd share with you a few of the books on my summer reading list. Maybe you'll discover a few gems you've never heard of. And if you want to share your TBR (to-be-read) list in the comments, I'd love to see what worlds you are planning to explore over the next few weeks!

Non-Fiction
  • Bonhoeffer by Eric Metaxas. This baby has been in-progress for, um, a while. It's good. It's just not easy to toss in a diaper bag. I'm determined to finish it!
  • Praying God's Word for Your Husband by Kathi Lipp. I'm writing a review of this one in the next week or so.
  • Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer. Not a light read (a memoir of the deadliest season on Mt. Everest), but my husband really enjoyed this and it's been in my TBR stack for too long!
Fiction
  • Hood by Stephen Lawhead. A retelling of the Robin Hood legend.
  • Saint by Ted Dekker. Don't anyone pass out, but I haven't read anything by Ted Dekker. Ever.
  • Intervention by Terri Blackstock. I love Terri Blackstock but haven't read anything of hers in a while. Can't wait!
  • First the Dead by Tim Downs. Another author I've never read. But this book sounds so good!
  • So Not Happening by Jenny B. Jones. Because sometimes a good YA read is exactly what I need.
  • Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pearson. Just for fun!
Have you read any of these books? Got a favorite author you want to share? Tell us in the comments!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Never miss a post! Subscribe by RSS feed or email!

Enter your email address:


Delivered by FeedBurner

3 comments:

DebraKoontzTraverso said...

I have nothing to share....but you've given ME a few good ideas! Thanks Lynn!

Jamie Britt said...

Lynn, don't feel bad, but I've never read anything by Ted Decker either! So don't feel like the lone ranger! My favorite author is Karen Kingsbury-waiting for her newest book on June 26, Coming Home! Can't wait! Love ya!

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Deb - Did you meet Pam Zollman @ Blue Ridge? I ran into her at Lifeway and that stack of books is a direct result of her leading me to the Clearance wall and making recommendations! Let me know if you find a new fav this summer!
Jamie - I enjoy Karen Kingsbury too! Hope your summer is off to a great start!