Monday, October 10, 2011

31 Days :: Day 10 ~ So what's in it for me?

We are ten days into our 31 Days of Renewing. We've laid a lot of groundwork and it's time to start digging into the specifics.

But I wonder if maybe...well...not that you'd ever say it out loud. But do you ever wonder why bother? Ever wonder what's in it for me?

Or maybe you're worried that your renewed mind will make you as interesting as a coaster at your next work party or family gathering. Or . . . maybe that's just me.

Well, I've got good news.

Check out what Paul had to say earlier in Romans ~ For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace. (Romans 8:6 ESV)

I learned something very interesting when I started studying this verse.

It turns out that in the Greek, there are no verbs which makes the statement even more emphatic. Read literally, it's more like this: For the thinking of the flesh - death; the thinking of the Spirit - life and peace.

This verse is a statement of fact. If your mind is set on the Spirit - life and peace are yours.

And while we probably assume that this is talking about eternal life, and that is true, this particular usage implies an absolute fullness of life. The kind of life originally intended for us. A fully satisfied existence.

Here. On earth.

And that peace? It's the inward tranquility which accompanies that kind of fully satisfied existence.

Life . . . and peace . . . now.

Yeah. I'd say it's worth it.

2 comments: