Friday, October 28, 2011

31 Days :: Day 28 ~ Does it matter?

Mark 12:30 ~ And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength. (ESV)

We've come to our final weekend of focusing on renewing. It's been a fun journey for me. I hope it has been for you as well.

As we wrap up our time on this topic, let's take a look at what Jesus had to say about our minds.

The religious rulers of that time had taken the laws provided in the Old Testament and expanded upon them. Their "Do and Don't" list was around 600 items long!

In a few brief words, Jesus took their list and annihilated it. He reminded them of ancient commands found in Deuteronomy and said, "Listen, it's easy. Love the Lord your God with all you've got." (Lynn's paraphrase!)

I checked...the word for mind here includes your intellect, imagination, and intent. So we know what we're talking about.

Or do we?

How on earth do you love God with your mind? Love Him with your heart and soul? Check. We get that. Most of us can play that song on the piano. Love Him with your strength? Well, it's a little less obvious, but at an intuitive level, we grasp the idea of loving fiercely and with everything that is in us.

But love God with your mind? Minds - brains - intellect - not usually something you think of as loving.

The love commanded here is agape. The kind of love only fully exhibited by God. The kind of love we are called to as believers. The kind of love we are incapable of expressing without the power of the Holy Spirit.

And I found this definition in Strong's . . . true agapáō ("loving") is always defined by God – a "discriminating affection which involves choice and selection". Another definition I found says that it denotes the love of reason.

Loving God is a choice you make with your mind.

I can't love God with all of my mind if my framework is skewed.

I can't love God with all of my mind if I'm deceived about what is true, honorable, just, pure, lovely, commendable, excellent, and worthy of praise.

I can't love God with all of my mind if I've forgotten who I am, how much it cost to redeem me, and why I'm still here.

When they asked Jesus for the most important commandment, He said love the Lord your God . . . with all your mind.

Renewing matters.

*****
You can read past entries in the 31 Days of Renewing series here.

0 comments: