Friday, October 7, 2011

Day 7 ~ Why am I here?

Over the past couple of days, we've been focusing on the things we forget to remember.

On Day 5 we remembered who we were.

Day 6 was hard for me. Was it for you? Did you watch the video? Because as hard as it is, it's crucial that we remember that our Jesus died for us - a brutal, gory death. All so we could be redeemed.

Which brings us to today's topic.

As I seek to renew my mind, I must remember . . . why I am here.

But it's hard.

There are days when all I do is focus on my to-do list. I make beds, change diapers, prepare meals, sign school papers, clean toilets, brush my teeth, go to bed and wake to do it all over again. It's mundane. Sometimes, it feels pointless.

When I forget why I'm here, I get so caught up in my daily life that I miss the opportunities God designed for me.

I live and breathe right now because God is still using me and my life to touch the lives of those around me with the message of His love and grace.

The only reason I'm still here is because God's redemptive plan includes me.

And there is nothing mundane about that!

Sure, I still have to do the laundry. But what if instead of griping about it, I saw it as a necessary step in fulfilling my calling? Clothing is not optional. My husband really does need clean socks and underwear so he can bring the redemptive work of Christ into his office.

My house doesn't need to be spotless, but would I tackle the toilets differently if I remembered that I'm a lot more willing to invite my lost neighbor over for a playdate and coffee if I'm not embarrassed by what she'll see when she steps in the door?

Would being the room mom be such a challenge if I remembered that God's redemptive plan for the world includes the uniquely created daughter He entrusted to my care?

It's still laundry, toilets and field trips, but with a renewed mind, instead of drudgery . . . it's worship.

So what about the "boring" parts of your life? Can you think of a chore that takes on new meaning as you renew your mind and remember why you are here? Please share it with us in the comments!

And take a moment to watch this video...let the words sink in...you are telling the story of grace with every move that you make!






2 comments:

JeanetteEdgar said...

Perfect song choice - I was thinking of that song as I read your post, then there it was!
I sometimes dread running around town to do errands. But, when I consider opportunities, I can stop and help an elderly person, sometimes I see someone that I sense needs a smile and I whisper a prayer for them also. I need to see getting around town as a chance to shine for Him. And to quote you, there's nothing mundane about that!

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Thanks Jeanette - I love the idea of whispering a prayer for people you see while out and about!