Wednesday, October 19, 2011

31 Days :: Day 19 ~ Is it stainless?

Whatever is pure . . . think on these things.

The Greek word for pure is "hagnos" and it means "exciting reverence, sacred" and "pure - free from carnality, chaste, modest; free from fault, immaculate; clean."

The word is used to describe both sexual purity as well as ceremonial purity.

One commentator referred to it as thinking of things that are "stainless" because some thoughts leave permanent stains on our mind.

It's easy to think of this in regards to hormonal teenagers, but the application is for all of us. In our society, where even the commercials on TV are full of sexual innuendo and violence, keeping our thoughts pure - stainless - is a lifelong battle.

What we listen to on the radio, watch on TV or at the movies, surf to on the Internet, and read in books has a profound impact on the way we think. I had to ask myself, "Am I renewing my mind with things that are pure?"

The answer? Not always.

The idea of ceremonial purity particularly intrigued me. Sacrificial offerings had to be without blemish to be acceptable.

Is what I'm thinking about appropriate to offer up as a sacrifice?

God refused to accept any offering that wasn't pure.

And He wants me to dwell on nothing less.

2 comments:

Cynthia Howerter said...

Lynn, I count it sheer joy to read your articles. Today's is simply perfect. I will ponder and savor it for a long while.

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Thank you!!!