Thursday, October 20, 2011

31 Days :: Day 20 ~ Who's the loveliest of them all?

Whatever is lovely . . . think on these things.

The Greek word translated as lovely is "prosphiles" and it means "acceptable, pleasing" and has the idea of being "winsome, sweet, gracious, attractive." In classical Greek it means "dear or beloved" when used to describe people and "pleasing or agreeable" when used to describe things.

And here's a little fun-fact. This word "prosphiles" is only used one time in the New Testament.

Once.

Now, I happen to believe that God is an excellent writer. As such, He chooses His words with precision.

So what's unique about this word? Why choose "lovely" for us to dwell on?

Jump back to the Old Testament with me for a moment. In Proverbs, we read that "as a man thinketh in his heart, so is he." The more we choose to think about things that are lovely, the more lovely we ourselves will become.

Why does it matter if choose to think about lovely things and in turn, become lovely ourselves?

Because we live in an unlovely world. A world that is searching for something, they just don't know what it is.

But we know.

We know the One who is loveliest of all.

The Bible tells us that Jesus was not attractive in appearance, but people were drawn to Him. He spoke the Truth about sin and evil, but sinners and evildoers still found Him irresistible.

Our church has a mission statement that goes something like this...We are a community of grace, living out the purpose and personality of Jesus in our world.

Jesus had the best personality ever.

As a Christ follower, I have no business running around looking like I was weaned on dill pickles. When I speak, the words that come from my mouth should be pleasant and agreeable, not laced with venom toward anyone or anything.

I'd love for the people I come into contact with as I go through my day to find me attractive - not physically - but in the "there's just something about that girl - I like hanging out with her" kind of way. And maybe as they hang out with me, they'll discover the "something" they are looking for.

Not in me.

But in Jesus.

*************

If you've just joined us today, we are taking 31 days to focus on renewing our minds. You can read previous posts here.

0 comments: