Monday, October 31, 2011

31 Days :: Day 31 ~ Are you ready for some action?

As we wrap up our 31 day journey, I want to leave you with the words of my favorite disciple.

I Peter 1:13 ~ Therefore, preparing your minds for action, and being sober-minded, set your hope fully on the grace that will be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ. (ESV)

What the ESV translates as "preparing your minds for action" is translated "gird up the loins of your mind" in quite a few other translations. They both mean the same thing, but I have to tell you, I rather like the imagery of "girding up the loins of your mind." In Biblical times people wore long robes and "girding up your loins" meant to tuck garments up and away from the legs so you'd be free to work, serve, run, or fight.

As we move forward into Thanksgiving and Christmas and a New Year, let's prepare our minds for whatever action God has for us. As we exercise daily renewing, our minds won't be so quick to wander off into hopelessness, won't be consumed by fear, won't be overwhelmed by a to-do list that never ends.

Instead, we will choose to remember, choose to renew, choose to be still and know, and choose to set our hope on the plentiful grace that is ours - now and for all eternity.

*******

When I started this series a month ago, I was worried that I might run out of topics. To my surprise, I have a list of verses and themes that I didn't have time to touch. So this topic may reappear from time to time in various "Mindful Mondays" posts. After all, renewing isn't just a 31 day process...it's the journey of a lifetime.

If you've enjoyed this series, I hope you'll continue to follow along as I switch gears and resume my regular blogging schedule. I'll be focusing on giving thanks in November. Please join me!

Grace and peace,
Lynn

3 comments:

Sandra said...

I have enjoyed the 31 days of renewal...will miss seeing the everyday blog, but I will be watching for what you have next. Luvya!

Cynthia Howerter said...

I looked forward each day to your articles in this month-long series. It was beautifully written.

Lynn Huggins Blackburn said...

Thanks Sandra & Cynthia! I'm kind of missing it to this morning! I appreciate all the support. I'm thinking about doing another series after the first of the year. Stay tuned!